Palak paneer is a popular Indian dish made with paneer (a type of soft, fresh cheese) and a creamy spinach sauce. Here is a recipe you can try at home:
- 1 pound paneer, cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and green chili (if using) and cook until the onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric, and red chili powder (if using) and cook for another minute.
- Add the spinach and 1/4 cup water and cook until the spinach is wilted about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the spinach sauce back into the pan and bring to a simmer. Add the paneer cubes and salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- If using, add the heavy cream and stir until well combined.
- Serve the palak paneer hot with rice or roti. Enjoy!